This is a form of traditional, Japanese massage that works with the body’s structure, soft tissue, and vital energy known as “Ki”. The treatment is relaxing as well as rejuvenating. Clients wear non-restrictive clothing while receiving this bodywork. This is also a very clean experience as no oils or creams are used.
A treatment is received on a futon as well as a massage table, and the massage is done with thumbs, hands, elbows, knees, & feet. This enables a range of very strong work for structural applications as well as highly sensitive work for impaired, inflamed, or highly sensitive areas. Treatments vary in their application and intensity depending on the appropriate method needed by each client.
Rather than “rubbing out tension”, a Shiatsu therapist redistributes vital energy. Tension is interpreted as simply having too much energy trapped in a limited area of the body. By enhancing the flow of “Ki” through the body, healing is activated through the treatment. The energetic shift is experienced within the sensations of the body, the feelings of the heart, and the perspective of the mind.
Treatments are effective for:
- Maintaining maximum comfort and personal well-being
- Alleviating pain and discomfort from stress, overwork, and exhaustion
- Rejuvenating organic function in areas of digestion, respiration, and reproduction
- Augmenting medical treatments with nurturing energy and integrative diagnosis
- Facilitating recovery from surgeries, accidents, and chronic conditions
Ultimately, Shiatsu is an enjoyable way to cultivate, enhance, and maintain optimum health.